Saturday, March 31, 2018

Napowrimo 2018, Day 0

It's April of 2018. I love April, I come alive in April, I write poems all month long. I usually try to write at least one poem a day that responds to the prompts at the wonderful http://www.napowrimo.net.

I also usually write some ghazals, some landays, some sonnets, some forms I make up, some things about my body, some things about my mother and father . . .  Last year I planned to focus on my feet, the ground they've walked on, what they do. I might try to do more of that this year. Also maybe write some world-building poems? We'll see what comes up. Usually if I like a particular prompt or new form that gets introduced I'll come back to it in subsequent days.

This morning, which was technically yesterday morning, March 31st, I was lying in bed in the morning and found the prompt for day one. Wrote this poem. I'll say below what the prompt was.

*****

you
too gold and green to live
too big to go around
too sparkly to ignore

I
take you out
dance in you
want you back

you
too thick and rich not to touch
too handmedown not to breathe
too wrinkled to matter

I
gave you away
handed you off
drove in the other direction

you
on someone else's hips
in some other woman's closet
dancing without me in Oakland

I
have nothing left to wear
nothing left to shimmy in

nothing left to say


****

[The prompt was to write a love poem to an inanimate object.]

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home